March 18, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
UT Tyler University Academy will be closed for face-to-face instruction for the remainder of the school year in order to support our community and health care professionals in the ongoing goal of containing the spread of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19. Additionally, all extracurricular activities are suspended while we are closed. Senior Banquets and Graduation are still pending, with a determination to be made at a later date.
We do not make this decision lightly. We fully realize it presents significant difficulties to working parents. However, we are hopeful that these measures will better ensure the long-term health and safety of children, staff, and the larger community.
University Academy is finalizing logistics on distance learning options and the distribution of devices and instructional materials while school is out. We will use the remainder of this week to fully prepare for distance learning beginning Monday, March 23. Please watch for communication from teachers as they work to inform you how instruction will be delivered for your student’s grade/subjects.
Beginning on Monday, campuses will be open from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. daily so that we may meet the needs of the public in terms of dropping off or picking up paper work, devices, instructional materials and the like. Teachers will primarily be working remotely, but may be on campus for individualized instruction and intervention with students as needed over the coming weeks. These visits should be scheduled with teachers and be by appointment only. We will not have group learning or activities on campus and will keep visitors to a minimum to adhere to safety precautions.
University Academy asks the broader community to take the following reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of the illness:
- Don’t shake hands
- Wash your hands regularly
- Limit movement within the community, especially avoiding crowded placed and maintaining 3 to 6 ft of distance between people (at least an arm’s length)
- If you are moving around in the community, don’t congregate in large groups
- For those who have traveled to areas with known COVID-19 cases – both inside and outside of the country – we ask that you self-quarantine and monitor for symptoms. Students who have traveled should plan to stay home for two weeks after arriving home. Please do not come to the campus if you are within the self-quarantine period.
- If you suspect you have symptoms of COVID-19, call your health care provider for medical advice .
- Keep your child at home if he/she feels ill, even if you think it is just a cold.
- Do not leave the house if you are ill, except to access medical care
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we ensure that students, parents, faculty, and staff stay safe and healthy. We will provide more updates and information as it becomes available.
Jo Ann Simmons, Ed.D.
UT Tyler University Academy